Snapshots & Whatnot: Spidery Inspiration

Spiders usually creep me out (& get squashed under my shoe.) But two weeks ago I noticed a (very) large spider hanging out near our back garage door. Before splatting it into oblivion, I observed the magnificent web that stretched large and long next to the door.

Interesting, that.

Dashed inside for a Wikipedia check to find it’s a yellow garden spider (“Argiope aurantia”) and (most importantly) is not poisonous, just stings like a bee when threatened.

Two weeks later it seems that our friendly yellow garden spider has taken up permanent residence by our door (that continues to be carefully opened, to be sure.)

It’s been so intriguing watching Miss Yellow Garden Spider weave her massive web (at least I think she’s a she. To be so industrious, she must be?)  🙂

“The Spider’s touch, how exquisitely fine!

Feels at each thread, and lives along the line.”

Alexander Pope, from ‘An Essay on Man’

Methinks Miss Yellow Garden Spider has a bit of inspiration to offer us today. Even when a major thunderstorm tumbled everything around her, she kept spinning her web. Even in bright (very hot) sunshine, she keeps spinning her web. Even when bits of her web have been knocked about (we have to get in and out of the door), she keeps spinning. Even though her web is hard to see (part of her strategy?) it’s there, holding her in place.

Relevance to us today (ie, get to the point, Virginia?) What kind of webs are we spinning? The biggest possible kind that will catch others with tendrils of love? Or does apathetic stress shrink our webs with closemindedness?

In the late 1940s Reverend Peter Marshall as Chaplain of the U.S. Senate shared a quote that had been used as a rallying cry for G.I.s during WWII. The world and lives of our parents & grandparents generations at that time had been turned upside down.

“A different world cannot be built by indifferent people.”

grace, peace & inspirational spiders

This entry was posted in Quotes, SNAPSHOTS & WHATNOTS and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Snapshots & Whatnot: Spidery Inspiration

Beautiful post…the spider that is often squished or shrieked at is given its spotlight and seen in the best light. Illustrious but creepy looking, relentless at web weaving…overcoming weather or human interruptions…it survives! I admire its tenacity that your post show us. Thanks Virginia.

As someone who does web design, I find spiders totally fascinating! I don’t particularly like them inside, mind you, but these industrious creatures can teach us a lot about persistence, determination, and starting over. Sure, it’s inconvenient to have one build a web at our door, but maybe she just wanted to show off for you?!?

I’m not a fan of indoor spiders either, Debbie! Methinks you’re right about Miss Yellow Garden Spider showing off, ‘cause each time I go out that back door, it seems the web is bigger (altho it gets slightly smaller as I hack my way around it.) Yet she keeps spinning & somehow stays in place. Definitely determined AND persistent! Besisngs & spidery inspiration! 🕷🤪🕷🌷🕷🤪🕷

3. My Carmel says:

Thank you for your post Virgina. I feel the same. Spiders are not my bff’s for sure, but after reading your reflective post…I’m starting to think different about them 😉 Blessings and blogging hugs! ❤

Patty – spiders usually are on my get squashed list (especially after a few dangerous encounters overseas) but Miss Yellow Garden Spider’s web looked so intriguing, I had to check her out. (Note: her web residence is located outside – her presence would not be so welcome inside!) Blessings & spidery inspiration 🕷🤪🕷🌷🕷🤗🕷

Thought provoking, Ginny … never saw a spider so exquisitely beautiful! Good writing ✍️

Thanks, Cin. We can see Miss Yellow Garden Spider through a kitchen window. Still can’t believe she’s been in her web residence over 2 weeks! Weirdly inspirational watching her spinning her web (& spending time ‘hanging out’ in the same place.) Blessings & spidery tenacity 🕷🤪🕷🌷🕷🤗🕷

5. arlene says:

Nice captures Virginia.

Thanks, Arlene. It was a challenge trying to capture Miss Yellow Garden Spider’s web in a photo- even though the web is almost a meter long, it’s hard to see! Blessings & spidery tenacity – 🕷🌷🕷🤗🕷🌷🕷

6. Though my tendency regarding spiders is to ‘squish’ them too… I have often been fascinated by the complex web they weave.
    I suppose ‘in effect’ we can also tend to weave our webs from time to time…. Diane

That’s a great way of looking at it, Diane – we all weave webs of some kind (figuratively.) Miss Aurelia (our spider) is still hanging out on her web – it’s been over 4 weeks! 🕷😎🕷