a little retro Light (whenever!)

Feeling a little retro yesterday I was grooving to Van Morrison and cleaning the house when an old favorite blared out I hadn’t heard in years. Hitting replay between cleaning passes, ’twas like being reintroduced to an old friend.

Powerful lyrics paired with a catchy melody, “Whenever God Shines His Light On Me” is a duet Van Morrison wrote and performed in 1989 with Cliff Richard (that in itself is a weird pairing, but somehow works for this song.)

“…in deep confusion, in great despair, when I reach out for Him, He is there. When I am as lonely as I can be, I know that God shines His light on me…”

Found this YouTube video of Van Morrison & Cliff Richard singing the song (circa late 1980s?) so have a look & listen (& maybe a wee retro chuckle!)Β  For friends who get these blog posts in email, for some reason YouTubes don’t show up so you need to click through the title of the post at the top of the page to watch it on the Roses in the Rubble website. (You can skip adverts after 5 seconds, but sometimes they’re interesting.)Β  πŸ™‚

Lord Jesus, please shine Your Light around me, in me, and through me this day.

grace, peace & shining Light

“When I sit in darkness, the Lord shall be a light unto me.” Micah 7:8

This entry was posted in Music and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to a little retro Light (whenever!)

1. Carol-Jo Osinski says:

Watched the retro song…smiled, laughed and I still love,” My brown-eyed girl and a rock in roll dance.”
    Carol-Jo

Carol-Jo – Brown Eyed Girl is one of his best songs. I also like Bright Side of the Road (it’s a happy song!) and Moondance (since we’re both moon groupies, that’s a good one for you, too!) Of course, Gloria is his most famous song & that’s a great one to groove to. Hugs! πŸ™‚

2. Carol O says:

Love that song! I was just listening to it last week. Never gets old.
    He heals the sick! He heals the lame. Says you can do it too in Jesus’ name.
    He lifts you up, turns you around, puts your feet back on higher ground!
    Put your feet back, put your feet back, higher ground, put your feet back, mmmmmm. Mmmm. Mmmm mmmm glory!

You got it! It’s a grand song altogether with such powerful lyrics! I played it often but somehow it went into hiding years ago when one of our computers crashed & we lost all our playlists. 😦 But it’s back now in a ‘best of’ Van Morrison that’s fully loaded on my iTouch (that roams between boomboxes in the kitchen, study & my room!) Blessings & old favorites! VA πŸ™‚

What an inspiring message for a Monday morning — thank you, Virginia!

Debbie – it’s amazing how songs can lift out spirits out of Monday doldrums (or any day blues!) blessings ! Virginia πŸ’œπŸ˜ŽπŸ’œ

4. elvagreen123 says:

So I listened to the song in this post. Then I remembered some old Van Morrison song and I listened to them, then I listened to Van and John Lee Hooker (Gloria!) Then I found Dr. John’ Right Place, Wrong Time. Only by now it’s 10:40 pm Tuesday night. People are probably trying to sleep, too late to be grooving! Thanx, Virginia.

Elva – your grooving sounds fun! I also like Gloria & Bright Side of the Street. I got sidetracked looking up Cliff Richard. He’s not so famous in the US, but has many British top 10 hits. I actually saw him perform years ago in the U.K. @ the Greenbelt festival (riotous fun over a bank holiday weekend.) blessings & grooves – Virginia 😎