Little birdies (in our wreath!)

Last week we noticed lots of chirping going on outside our front door. Nothing too unusual in that since our bird feeders are close by, but the chirps seemed a bit localized. At one point whilst opening the door, I looked up at our wreath and caught a hint of movement.

Our front door spring wreath (note upper right corner)

Standing on tiptoe I saw a tiny nest with a bit of fuzz around the edges. Taking my handy iPhone out to catch what was what, I could see a few fuzzy little birdies in the nest.

Little birdies last Saturday

Showing my brother these new additions to our wreath, we decided to forgo the front door all week to keep their progress undisturbed. Using the back door to get in is a bit tricky at night (but isn’t it grand iPhones have those little flashlights in them?)

Little birdies on Monday

Each day I’ve checked their progress hoping mommy bird has been feeding them (and wondering as temps roared into the 80s and 90s Fahrenheit how little birdies get something to drink stuck in their nest?)

It’s been kinda cool seeing these little birdies grow from indistinct blobs into little beings (with attitude, check previous pic out!)

Reminds me of something C.S. Lewis once wrote:

“It may be hard for an egg to turn into a bird: it would be a jolly sight harder for it to learn to fly while remaining an egg. We are are like eggs at present. And you cannot go on indefinitely being just an ordinary, decent egg. We must be hatched or go bad.”

Here’s to hatching ourselves new wings to take on new adventures? Like these little birdies when their fuzz turns into feathery wings and they learn to fly.

Little birdies today (note the feathers!)

And what about finding worms and/or other good things to eat? Haven’t seen mommy bird, but maybe she’s an early bird out getting those early worms.

“I think we consider too much the good luck of the early bird and not enough the bad luck of the early worm.” Franklin D. Roosevelt

Have never contemplated “the early bird gets the worm” from the side of the worm. oops.

That said, I hope these little birdies will have enough wormy sustenance to wing their way out of their nest before too long (I was about to change the wreath to another more springy one…)

grace, peace & little birdies (in our wreath!)

Little birdie nest (on our wreath)

This entry was posted in Quotes, SNAPSHOTS & WHATNOTS and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Little birdies (in our wreath!)

1. Carol says:

Wow! So cool for you, but incredibly stupid for the mother bird! I wonder why she didn’t pick a place with less “action.” In any case, she is probably sitting in a tree close by. I’m surprised she didn’t swoop at you when you were snapping the pics. I have a bird in our front yard that tries to attack everyone as they try to enter the parking lot!

Carol – it’s been cool checking out our wreath-nest-birdies. One thing for sure, no hawk will get them there. Still haven’t seen mommy bird – as per your advice I’ve searched nearby trees, but so many birds wing their way thru our yard it’s hard to tell. Your front yard bird sounds like a good security guard! Blessings! 🐣😜🐣

2. Uncle Tree says:

Awww…how cute! πŸ™‚ Sweet find, Virginia!

That’s so precarious for these little birdies … glad you and Dwight spotted them and are attentive. Hope they make it!

Cin – we’re so glad we saw them since the front door sees lots of action. Even though I haven’t seen mommy bird, our wreath-nest-birdies are getting bigger so she must be feeding them. Hugs! πŸ£πŸ€—πŸ£πŸ€—πŸ£

4. My Carmel says:

So sweet! πŸ™‚

I had baby birdies in one of my hanging baskets a year or so ago, and it was fascinating to watch their progress. Glad you’re getting to experience it, too!!

We’ve been having so much fun watching these little finch birdies grow, Debbie. Two adult red finches (well, the male is red) have been zipping around our bird feeders & door every day. Finally figured out their roles (mama & papa finch!) ✨🐣🐦🐣✨

6. bwcarey says:

our home. knock before you enter, to the birds, amen

Lots of fun to watch nature, and lives, evolve.