Snapshots & Whatnot: Standing Tall (in the Fall!)

Today here are a few pics from a memorable sojourn in the Italian Veneto countryside…

“A wind has blown the rain away and blown the sky away and all the leaves away, and the trees stand.” e. e. cummings

“A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost; he who sows courtesy reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.” Saint Basil

“The desire of God’s heart is immeasurably larger than our imaginations can conjure.” Father Gregory Boyle, S.J.

grace, peace & (tall) fall inspiration

This entry was posted in SNAPSHOTS & WHATNOTS and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Snapshots & Whatnot: Standing Tall (in the Fall!)

Love that carpet of leaves in the first photo.

I visited this beautiful place with a group of friends one November – so blessed leaves were still changing! Fall blessings, Tim!! πŸ‚πŸŒŸπŸ’œπŸŒŸπŸ‚

2. Dewin Nefol says:

Hey Virginia – you’ve a creative eye for a colourful snapshot and a keen mind for a radiant whatnot, together they deliver a spirited post.

Love, Peace and polychromatic leaves,

Namaste,

DN

Thanks, Dewin. So blessed on that trip to Italy one year in late November that there were still leaves around to gawk over! We eventually traveled on to Vienna where my friends went mad for Christmas markets (evidently there were 33 around town. My friends visited them all, while I just did a few.) Hugs! (yes, we American are a huggy bunch!) πŸ‚πŸŒŸπŸ€—πŸŒŸπŸ‚

• Dewin Nefol says:

Hey Virginia,

If your photographs are anything to go by, then it seems you arrived in Italy at just the right time of year to enjoy (its) late Autumn showcase.

So pleased to hear the holiday included Vienna’s Christmas markets. Certain sources say they are spectacular and well worth visiting. Whilst I have never been, a trip to Europe for Christmas has always been on my to-do list. One day I might find time to go and also take in the merry sights and sounds of German markets as well: and not just for the festivities but also for the food! πŸ˜€

No doubt you are looking forward to Christmas this year and will celebrate with style. Personally, I’m hoping for snow to add that touch of traditional panache to the festive period. A chocolate-box Christmas would be delightful.

Have a wonderful week,

Namaste,

DN

Hi Dewin – Vienna’s Christmas markets dazzled. On that trip I also had the chance to visit friends in Prague. Since it was early December Christmas markets (& a massive tree) filled the town square there, too! I celebrated Christmas in many places while working overseas (even once with friends in the UK enjoying β€œcrackers” Christmas pudding, Queen’s speech & pantomimes!) but it’s always grand to be at home.

I’m not sure what a chocolate box Christmas is, but if chocolate is involved this chocoholic is all in!!

Blessings!!🌟🍫 πŸŽ„πŸ«πŸŒŸ

• Dewin Nefol says:

Hey Virginia – well, your reply has wetted my appetite somewhat and given me enthusiasm to take-in Europe’s infamous markets. Would it were possible to travel this year then I’d go, but certainly a trip next year is (now) pencilled-in on the calendar!

Our family had relatives returning from Prague this year who returned with accounts and photographs of their time in Europe. Included in those images were photographs of Prague at Christmas and of the markets and winter ‘food-shows’ they visited. It looks wonderful and fuels my desire to go.

Ah so, in-amongst other countries you’ve visited whilst working overseas (what was your profession?) you had chance to experience an English Christmas complete, I hope, with all the trimmings πŸ˜€ That is excellent news! I can only hope the occasion was greatly enjoyed and didn’t disappoint in any way and that the crackers actually went crack! I also hope you paper-crown survived the ravages of Christmas Day and didn’t get burnt when the Christmas pudding was set alight and that you enjoyed the joke contained within them!? As a child I used to love going to Pantomimes not least because one is expected to cheer, boo and heckle the good, the bad and the ugly characters on stage. Always so much fun! lol πŸ˜€

A chocolate-box Christmas references those delightfully idyllic and whimsical wintery Christmas scenes once found in abundance on the lids of chocolate boxes, biscuit tins and sweet parcels fashioned specifically for the festive period. Such images would portray the ‘perfect’ Christmas: flaming hearths, crisp even snow, stockings over the mantelpiece, neatly decorated Christmas trees, frosted windows through which one might catch glimpse of a shepherd herding sheep into a glowing straw-strewn barn whilst overhead dazzling reindeer pulled Santa’s sledge across a star-spun sky. As kids we’d often open the sweet-and-treat tins on Christmas Eve and feast on chocolate whilst excited in anticipation of Santa’s imminent arrival…we believed taking-in excessive amounts of sugar would help to keep us awake throughout the night so that we’d not miss Santa making his deliveries. Suffice to say such a cunning plan never worked and instead we’d sleep deeply after enjoying the sugar-high until morning and then race downstairs to see if presents had been left under the tree. Those were heady days indeed πŸ˜€

Have a wonderful week Virginia. Take care,

Namaste,

DN

3. what a truly lovely post. thank you

4. Michelle says:

Beautiful photos! I love the quotes, too. πŸ™‚