On this second Sunday of Advent, here are a few takeaway action items from church this morning. Our senior pastor, Msgr. Joe, challenged us with 5 things (based on today’s Scripture readings) to do this Advent. Deciphering hasty scribbles on a random piece of paper in my purse, here they are:
- Don’t let darkness rob you of joy. We can’t let darkness cause us to lose hope, to paralyze us. We must keep looking up & carrying on toward God’s grace.
- Darkness is nothing to fear but is a place to let God’s light shine. When it’s darkest, light shines brightest. Are we open to letting God’s light shine in us & through us when things in our lives are dark?
- Remember, night gives way to day, the sun comes out again after storms & spring follows winter. Through God’s grace we live & move & have our being. We have to trust God will provide the power to endure.
- Don’t just hope for better days, join efforts to make them better! We have to roll up our sleeves if we want to see real change happen in us & around us.
- Don’t forget, there’s lots of work needed ‘out there’ – but first we must allow God to work in our hearts & minds. Are we open to what God is doing in our lives, how maybe we may need to change?
“A voice cries out: “In the wilderness prepare the way of the Lord, make straight in the desert a highway for our God. Every valley shall be exalted, and every mountain and hill brought low; the crooked places shall be made straight, and the rough places smooth. Then the glory of the Lord shall be revealed…” (Isaiah 40:3-5)
grace, peace & Advent action(s)
Virginia : )
Photos: Grand Canyon, Arizona