Birthday Blues: Surprised by Joy!

Last week Virginia celebrated her birthday. Another year. Whoopee.

Although there was plenty of celebratory chocolate…

Once you hit certain milestones, years tend to blur together. You reach a certain age and birthdays are reminders of AGE.

An occasion for Birthday Blues to play their grooves.

Faithful readers know Virginia often says, “Life is a gift.” Life is something to celebrate, maybe not so much life (so many years.) But, here’s the thing. This year’s Birthday Blues were preempted by joy – lots of joy!

An unexpected tea party!

Last Sunday a coffee shop meet-up turned into an unexpected celebratory birthday tea at a dear friend’s house. Surprised by joy! Gales of laughter, fellowship, fabulous tea and scones started my birthday week off with aplomb.

Even Dora the Explorer got in on the fun!

Staycationing (a vacation spent staying at home) for the week, my brother Dwight and I racked up lots of fun zooming out and about. (There was more chocolate. And cake. And apple pie. And my sister Shere’s Banana Creme pie – oh la la!)

special Celtic cup birthday giftie from brother Dwight

Surprised by joy! So many unexpected gifts, cards, calls, and greetings from family and friends near and far blew Virginia’s Birthday Blues away. Far, far away.

Then on the weekend my big sis Shere hosted a lovely birthday dinner soiree outside (and the weather cooperated.)

A magical evening under the lights @ Perrydise

Once again, Virginia was surprised by joy. Life IS a GIFT!

grace, peace & GRATITUDE GROOVES

โ€œOn our birthdays we celebrate being alive. We should never forget our birthdays … They remind us that what is important is not what we do or accomplish, not what we have or who we know, but that we are, here and now. On birthdays let us be grateful for the gift of life.โ€ Henri Nouwen

This entry was posted in Life (in general) and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

40 Responses to Birthday Blues: Surprised by Joy!

1. JOY journal says:

What a delight!! Happy belated birthday!

2. Athira says:

Belated birthday wishes !

3. lisaloden says:

So sorry I missed your birthday dear Virginia. You are so often in my thoughts and prayers. May this next year continue to surprise you with joy and fruitfulness. You are loved.

Big hugs from across the ocean, Lisa. ๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿค—๐Ÿ’œ Thank you for your words of encouragement & hope. ๐ŸŒŸ๐Ÿ™๐ŸŒŸYou are loved & prayed for often, too!!! ๐Ÿ’๐ŸŒน๐Ÿ’

4. Delightful article. A very happy birthday .The crockery in the pictures caught my attention. Fantabulous.

Happy belated Birthday, Virginia!! Sounds like you were celebrated all week long — as you should be! — and I do love your brother’s Celtic cup! Everybody needs chocolate, especially for their birthday!

Thank you, Debbie. Thatโ€™s what happens when a birthday falls in the middle of a week – two weekends conscripted for celebrating. Staycation made it a whole week of fun! My new Celtic cup makes tea tastier! Cheers! ๐ŸŽŠ๐ŸŽ‚๐Ÿ’โ˜•๏ธ๐Ÿค—

6. Happy Birthday, Virginia!โค๏ธ๐Ÿ™๐ŸŽ‚

7. craig says:

How magical!! Happy Birthday!

Thank you, Craig. Itโ€™s a real blessing when joy unexpectedly surprises us! Glimpses of Godโ€™s love wrapped in bows of grace. Blessings!! ๐ŸŽ๐ŸŒŸ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ’

So glad you were celebrated wellโฃ๏ธ๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’•๐ŸŽ‚๐Ÿฐ๐ŸŽŠ๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ‰๐Ÿก๐ŸŽˆ๐ŸŽŠ

Cindy, thank you for starting birthday month off with the gift of Louise Pennyโ€™s new book (so good!) ๐Ÿ’๐Ÿ“š๐Ÿ’ Missed celebrating with you here (!) but look forward to Thanksgiving. Canโ€™t believe we havenโ€™t seen you since Christmas. Will be so glad when COVID is done & GONE! Love & hugs, sis! ๐ŸŒŸ๐Ÿ’œ๐ŸŒŸ๐ŸŽŠ๐Ÿค—๐ŸŽŠ

9. JustBeingMe says:

Happy birthday Virginia. ๐Ÿ˜Š

10. Looks like a fantastic birthday week! Happy belated birthday Virginia!๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜บ๐Ÿฅณ๐Ÿฅณ

Thank you, Steve. Hope you and Muffin are keeping well in these crazy times! Blessings! ๐Ÿ’๐Ÿ˜ธ๐Ÿ’๐Ÿ˜ท๐Ÿ’

• Well, we’re certainly trying, though I still have Covid symptoms 5 months later.๐Ÿ˜ท๐Ÿ˜บ๐ŸŒž

Oh Steve, I am so sorry to hear that. One of my sisterโ€™s friend who had it (& was hospitalized) now has a new heart condition she didnโ€™t have before. Praying your symptoms dissipate SOON! ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ˜ท๐Ÿ™

• Thank you so much Virginia. Yes, it can certainly cause heart problems, hasn’t with me, but it has affected me in several other ways. Thanks for praying, truly appreciated!
        Have a wonderful day!๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜บ๐ŸŒž

A very happy birthday and may you be blessed with love, joy, good health and happiness always. Much love, GH.

12. Lisa Coleman says:

What a wonderful celebration of life! Happy Birthday! ๐ŸŽ‚

13. Fran Haley says:

Happy Birthday, Virginia – this post is a virtual celebration for us all with those gorgeous photos. That Celtic cup -! I love it – beautiful.

Thank you, Fran. In these uncertain times itโ€™s a real blessing to celebrate the gift of life. Glad you like the Celtic cup – Iโ€™m enjoying it immensely! Cheers! ๐ŸŽŠ๐Ÿ’๐Ÿต๐Ÿ’๐ŸŽŠ

14. sunisanthosh says:

What a beautiful celebration !! Belated birthday wishes !! ๐Ÿ’•

15. Shruba says:

Ahh belated happy birthday! Would have wished you sooner if the exams weren’t such a pain ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ–ค

Thanks so much Shruba! ๐ŸŽŠ๐ŸŽ‚๐ŸŽŠ Hope your exams went well. Thatโ€™s one thing I do not miss about being a student- exams! Blessings on your studies! ๐Ÿ’๐Ÿ“š๐Ÿคช๐Ÿ“š๐Ÿ’

• Shruba says:

Haha I can’t wait to reach that stage when I don’t have to sit for an exam. ๐Ÿ˜‚
        Yes, they went well. I’m only glad it’s finally over. I miss campus life already though. Thanks ๐Ÿ’œโ˜บ

Oh, what a relief to be DONE! Congrats! ๐Ÿพ๐ŸŽŠ๐Ÿ“š๐ŸŽŠ๐Ÿ’œ